TOTE: Training for Online Teaching Excellence
Training for Online Teaching Excellence (TOTE) provides best practices for reconceptualizing onsite teaching methods and instructional materials to be effectively applied in an online or hybrid/blended environment.
In TOTE, teachers are introduced to, guided through, and participate in the kinds of activities they can develop and use in their own online or hybrid/blended classes. In addition to giving teachers the student perspective, TOTE provides them with a foundation in and strong understanding of the essential skills and practices necessary for successful teaching online.
TOTE is specifically designed for teachers of grades 9-12 and is delivered online: in real-time webinars, as recorded versions of those real-time webinars, or as pre-recorded webinars (without participants) for viewing on-demand.
- Describe key differences between various teaching modalities
- Analyze the attributes of a successful online teacher
- Recognize the benefits of learning and teaching in virtual classrooms
- Generate course/class management strategies
- Create instructor/learner-generated activities that accommodate various learning styles
- Develop an online persona that builds positive relationships with students
- Identify various options for communicating with students
- Utilize tools and create strategies that support successful elearning
The three TOTE webinars can be delivered all in one day, spread out over a week, or provided once per week for three weeks.